Developing inspired learners to become leaders of character in a global society.
In accordance with this mission, the Academy for Business & Technology is in a continual improvement process that involves ongoing self-review, assessment and focused, proactive improvement based on test data and other measures. The school improvement team reviews student achievement data to ensure that necessary changes are implemented in a timely manner. The school improvement team consists of school leadership, teachers, a board member, students and support staff.
1. School organized for every student's success. To help achieve this we've organized small, flexible Collaborative Leadership Teams (CLTs) where teachers work together to communicate best practices, professional information, and individual student learning tendencies to better focus instruction.
2. A better use of time. ABT follows a schedule that makes sense for families today, adds the equivalent of 3 years to what is now a typical K-12 academic career, and builds in more fun for the students too.
3. A rich and challenging curriculum. We have designed an absorbing curriculum that provides every teacher and student with a program of variety and possibility. The curriculum is carefully integrated to help students see the connections between knowledge and ideas and to encourage practical applications of learning.
4. Teaching methods that motivate. We are committed to vital and diverse instructional strategies that encourage innovation and excitement in teaching and learning. Our classrooms are full of the sound of discussion, debate, discovery, and delight.
5. Assessment that provides accountability. ABT monitors student progress in many ways to help ensure that standards are met. Students participate in ABT's own core assessment system as well as state testing programs. ABT is accountable for student performance on all of these measures.
6. Educators who are true professionals. Teachers are the heart of our school. They receive the career development, resources, responsibilities, and opportunities that talented professionals deserve.
7. Technology for an information age. Our plan for technology puts everyone - students, educators and families - to work with the powerful information, communication and learning tools available today, preparing students for the workplace of the future.
8. A partnership with families. ABT makes a commitment to families to keep them engaged in their student's progress. Student portfolios and quarterly meetings with teachers give family members an accurate and vivid picture of their student's accomplishments and needs.